Sunday, January 9, 2011

Roger Federer opened the season in ominous fashion as he closed out the Qatar Open with a 6-3 6-4 victory over Nicolay Davydenko.

The world number two claimed a break of serve in each set to take the title from the Russian, who made a brave defence of the title he won 12 months ago.

Federer served impeccably throughout and although his opponent saved six break points in the first set it was inevitable that the Swiss would claim the crucial break.

The second followed in similar fashion as Federer moved Davydenko around at will, breaking the Russian to love in the ninth game before serving out with ease to take his third title in Doha.

"It feels fantastic," said Federer, who didn't drop a set in five matches. "I have had a good week. I really appreciate the support I get here.

"I have had good preparation. I can't believe that I am on the board already this year.

"This was a strong tournament and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share Post

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive